Marijuana Makes You Skinny?!

Move over, fad diets. Scientists have identified something else that might keep off excess weight.

Smoking pot.

That’s right, marijuana users are less likely to be obese than their non-toking counterparts, according to a new study.

Doesn’t pot-smoking cause the munchies?

Actually, the researchers behind the study had been expecting to find that marijuana smokers would weigh more than non-users.

“Cannabis is supposed to increase appetite,” study author Dr. Yann Le Strat, a psychiatrist at Louis-Mourier Hospital in Colombes, France, told MSNBC. “We found that cannabis users are less likely to be obese than non-users. We were so surprised, we thought we had [made] a mistake.”

For the study – published online in the August 24 issue of the American Journal of Epidemiology - researchers analyzed data from two large population surveys of U.S. adults. The researchers found obesity rates in people who “just say no” were 22 percent and 25.3 percent in each survey, respectively. But study participants who puffed pot at least three times a week had obesity rates of 14.3 percent and 17.2. The study didn’t actually prove smoking pot causes weight-loss.

“There could be many other reasons why pot smokers have less obesity,” Andrea Giancoli, a registered dietitian and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, told MSNBC. “Maybe they’re inclined to exercise more, be outdoors more, eat more fruits and vegetables. There could be all kinds of confounding factors that could make the results null and void.”

Potheads might be more physically active? Seriously?

“I would be surprised that cannabis use is associated with a higher rate of physical activity, but this cannot be ruled out,” Le Strat told Fox News. Another possibility, he said, is that certain compounds in cannabis might help people lose weight, and could serve as an area of future research.

Should folks trying to lose weight consider picking up a bong instead of a barbell?

“As an addiction psychiatrist, I see every day people struggling with cannabis dependence,” Le Strat told Fox News. “I would not recommend smoking cannabis for any reason.”

(Source)

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Health

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

36 Comments on “Marijuana Makes You Skinny?!”

1. The Iatrophobe
    April 16, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Haven’t these researchers ever heard of “the munchies”?? A spurious correlation if there ever was one…

• Travis
      June 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

Read the article dumbass.

2. Sam
    April 16, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

Marijuana speeds up your metabolism… Aka the munchies. However, people that smoke pot on a regular basis find that when they are not high, they are not hungry… Because their metabolism isn’t running as quickly. So even factoring in “the munchies”… You probably eat less as a pothead than you would normally. And if not, then the marijuana is speeding up your metabolism to the point that you burn more calories than you consume. Besides, a true pothead normally loses the “munchies” side effect because smoking is such a part if their daily routine.

• Donavenger
      June 12, 2012 at 5:35 am #

That is a great analysis and quite true in my experience at least. I smoke regularly and smoking definitely makes you want to eat everything in the house. But if you are a regular smoker when you are not high, you seem not to be hungry as often and only when you smoke. This is something any person with intelligence should recognize though; Our body adapts to look for signals and triggers for responses and get conditioned to such, just as your girlfriend making a risque gesture might turn you on and initiate bodily and emotional responses. Oh and for the weed bashers out there that usually don’t have a clue and usually haven’t even tried pot: Ted Turner developed CNN while smoking pot, Bayer who created aspirin, created heroine at the same time as a sedative for the “cough” introducing a new govt. backed drug into the black market, Cigarettes killed 1.2 million people in China last year, 400k+ in the US and are grown with radioactive pesticides and are given govt. subsidies, and according to my research marijuana has killed 0 people. There are a lot worse things in this world than marijuana as it may be one of the most underutilized plants in the world. Popular Mechanics even prepared an article called “Billion Dollar Crop” in which the subject was marijuana and it’s positive uses, including over 5,000 textile products and such, ranging from cellophane to dynamite. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

• milo
        September 24, 2012 at 2:27 am #

The union, not your research

3. April 17, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

Fascinating…but not very useful

4. Zac
    April 18, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

Sam is right, in certain aspects. I did my own study on this for my senior paper. I tracked the weight of two people with similar ‘sober’ eating habits, similar weights, and identical work out habits for one month. Then one person smoked marijuana every day, three times a day for one month (expensive, but it was all in the name of science), keeping the same work out routine. The sober person seemed to maintain his weight within 3 pounds for the next month, while the pot smoker gradually decreased his weight by 15 pounds during that month. The weirdest part of this experiment was that the pot smoker actually ate more ‘fatty’ calories every day, but still lost weight. My theory is that that sticky green leafy stuff increases the metabolism at such a rate that the amount of calories in any food does not fully pass through a pot smoker’s body like it does a sober person. I do not promote illegal activities in any way, however, if legislation allows you to, I would suggest hitting the bong once or twice a week if you are looking for some results. I got an A on my essay, by the way

5. April 24, 2012 at 4:46 am #

interesting stuff. i won’t be recommending it to my weight loss clients though!

• amgine
      September 24, 2012 at 7:12 am #

Is that because it actually works and it would put you out of a job? :) ?

• September 18, 2013 at 6:57 am #

good one amgine!

6. redlineit
    May 2, 2012 at 11:31 am #

“As an addiction psychiatrist, I see every day people struggling with cannabis dependence,” <– Ignorant statement, and I don't even do the stuff.

• TerryO
      August 2, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

I am so glad you said that! I was appaulled by that comment also, they are not struggling with addiction, they struggle with the powers that be that want to control or stop the smoker, or having to pass a damn drug screen, or some legal crap that harrasses society today regarding the prohibition.

7. Adam
    May 5, 2012 at 11:12 am #

You see people everyday struggling with cannabis dependence? Too bad marijuana is a non-addictive substance, especially when compared to other types of drugs.

8. May 10, 2012 at 5:50 am #

Hello! Thinking maybe I can share something here since I smoke pot daily or at least 10 joints a week. I used to feel hungry & tend to eat more than usual when I’m stoned, it was pretty hard to feel full. But after a while, I guess it blended well in me that I don’t feel so hungry anymore now when I’m stoned. I can actually control it by just munching Jacob Biscuits at night & I’m good. It is actually encourage me to do sports, the will to exercise more than when I’m sobber! Yes, physically active much? I’ve lost 8kg in 2 months I was actively smoking pot. First thing I do when I wake up in the morning is have a puff or 2. So I guess for noobs, it’s normal to feel super hungry when you’re high.

• amgine
      September 24, 2012 at 7:14 am #

I get the munches from drinking alcohol.

9. Arabious
    May 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

I think all this is right I am going through the same exactly but i think 1) if you stick to pot for a long time, even 10 years or more, the loss of weight might take effect gradually i was averaging around 95 kilos when i started and now I am averaging 82 kilos.
    2) Stress level might play a role also..if you are on pot and life is easy your chances are higher to gain weight and vise virsa…. Thanks

10. BMD
    June 9, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

Also, don’t forget shortly after marijuana use heart rate is inclined. The article doubts pot heads would be active, but responsible marijuana users know there is a time and place for toking. I only use marijuana only after all of my responsibilities are taken care of. I’m not saying marijuana is great, but there is no way in HELL u r convincing me its bad if it’s used medically. Nd that’s all I got to say bout that!

11. Craig
    June 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

I have been a frequent, long term pot smoker, and have never weighed over 160lbs. I’m a 49 year old male by the way. I DO find that I’m more active overall when I’m smoking. I just get the urge to do SOMETHING, or things come to mind that I had forgotten needed to be done. I can’t give any scientific proof of anything, but I’m not overly surprised by this study. As I think about it, very few of the smokers I’ve known in the last 30 years were heavy. Wouldn’t this be something if it’s followed up, and found to be accurate!

12. Jenny
    June 16, 2012 at 2:01 am #

Dancing when you’re high is great. Dancing = exercise. Not all pot heads are lazy, seems like that is more of a media thing.

13. Mahid
    August 2, 2012 at 4:03 am #

People who are addicted to pot? Dude get a grip…

14. An athletic Pothead
    August 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

I smoke daily and also play indoor soccer, outdoor soccer, flag football, and basketball leagues year round. I am over 30. I dont miss a day of work and eat healthy. One day america will be over stereo types. One day.

15. casmatt
    September 24, 2012 at 1:41 am #

In my experience, and this is just me, when you smoke on a regular basis you get over the feeling of the munchies pretty quick. After a couple weeks, I had to physically convince myself that I had to eat because I was never, ever hungry after I smoked. But then once I did eat, I would eat much more in one sitting than I would if I hadn’t smoked. So these results make sense to me.

And there is no way this person is an ‘addiction psychiatrist’ if they think people who smoke weed are addicted. I make the analogy of people who work out everyday. They feel like their day is incomplete if they don’t work out, but if they make an effort to not do it, they don’t feel any physiological need to do it.

16. Jessica
    October 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

I believe the eating more fruits and veggies part, a lot of “hipsters” smoke pot and are also vegetarian or vegan. I was a vegetarian for about 4 years and that’s when I was at my thinnest, but you have to cut out all the junk food. I’d probably also connect it (with hipsters, anyway) to drinking a LOT of coffee. It’s not like pot smokers all wake and bake, some actually are productive members of society…I’m so tired with people looking down on pot smokers like we’re a separate breed of people. That’s all I have to say :)

17. WeGlobal
    October 22, 2012 at 2:20 am #

who gives a fuck smoking is for faggots

• nesne
      May 16, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

What about having a guido beard? That seems much more “gay” to me.

18. adsljfljkadhf 3434
    December 7, 2012 at 6:25 am #

nice picture you fucking fat fuck.

• Nazareth
      December 7, 2012 at 6:39 am #

Haha apparently smoking pot is for “faggots”. The chances of that dude getting laid are slim to none… Haha did I say slim?

19. Professor nazareth
    December 7, 2012 at 6:26 am #

This is the dumbest article I have ever seen. Ever since I started smoking pot I have lost 10 pounds. Why? How? Cause when high your metabolism is moving at an Incredible rate, burning off the food you eat. It also cause you to laugh a lot, which burns calories and is good for abdominal muscles. Last but not least if you smoke pot 3-5 times a week your body is going to adapt to it, making it to where if your not high then you don’t even think about eating and not eating doesn’t even phase you, therefore you lose weight… Don’t make an article about something if you haven’t tried it.

• Jax
      May 16, 2013 at 9:57 pm #

“Don’t make an article about something if you haven’t tried it.”

Who would write about suicide? I think its more likely that pot smokers are also tobacco smokers, as tobacco smoking causes loss of appetite it might account for the difference in weight.

• janjan
        July 6, 2013 at 6:34 am #

daaaaamm he got you there with the “who would write about suicide” comeback! Good one Jax

20. Jason
    December 7, 2012 at 7:24 am #

So ur saying u are a pot smoking hipster that eats fruits & veggies & drinks lots of coffee?

21. jfgx4
    February 3, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

^^^ says that fat loser

22. Bob
    May 17, 2013 at 2:08 am #

“an addiction specailist” “struggling with cannabis dependence”
    i was an everyday smoker multiple times a day for the last 3 years. in the search of a carer and not just a job I recently quit. Day 1 I was upset that I couldn’t smoke a little bit angry. Day 2 I had no more anger and went on with my life. That is not an addiction.

“I would not recommend smoking cannabis for any reason.”
    so you wouldn’t recommend the tumor shrinking abilities of cannabis to a cancer patient? the hunger causing effects to a dying aids patient that litteraly cannot eat?
    Or you wouldn’t recommend it to someone like me to cure my looming depression?

Your old way of thinking is damaging to progression. there is a natural medicine out there that worked for thousands of years up until recently.

23. Riley
    June 6, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

I’m going to guess that pot smokers tend to be skinnier because of the larger amount of young people who smoke pot as opposed to older people, who tend to weigh more.

24. meditationdiva
    June 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

ummm… everytime i get high i take my dog on a walk. and i walk fast as hell