Jeans Don't Get Germy!

Experts always suggest that we wait longer before washing our jeansto preserve the denim, but just how long can we go? According to an ABC News report, Canadian college student Josh Le put his jeans to the test in the name of science, wearing them for 15 months without washing them. He got the idea to try this experiment during an introductory to textiles class. “My professor mentioned that she researches on textiles and bacteria, so it piqued my curiosity there,”Le told ABC News. “I half jokingly said we should do a bacterial analysis on them [Le's jeans] and that’s where it sort of started.”

In September 2009, Le bought a $165 pair of Nudie jeans for his sophomore year at University of Alberta and wore them 330 times by December 2010, documenting his progress on Facebook and in a YouTube video. During this time, the denim lightened up and got a few holes, but they also started to form to his body and become the best pair of jeans ever. Le carried around paper towels to dab out stains, and if they smelled he put them in the freezer overnight or let them hang and air out for a few hours. “If you don’t wash your clothing, it raises questions. I was very careful with odor. I did the smell test in the morning,” Le said in the interview.

After 15 months and one week, Le went to his professor, Rachel McQueen, to test the jeans for bacteria. They swabbed the denim, and finally washed them. Then for comparison’s sake, Le wore the jeans for 13 days, which is about the average duration a person wears jeans before washing them, and swabbed them again. According to McQueen’s tests, “There did not appear to be differences in the bacterial carriage depending on whether the jeans had been worn for 15 months or only 13 days.”

While Le and McQueen admitted their research is just one test, the professor said the majority of the bacteria came mostly from Le’s skin and would do him no harm. “I personally think 15 months is a bit long,” McQueen said. “It’s better not to wash your jeans after each wear. It takes wear and tear on your jeans. By not washing frequently, you’re extending the life of the jeans.”

We’d have to agree. We wouldn’t have the guts or the desire to subject ourselves and the people around us to unwashed jeans for 15 months, but going a little bit longer between cleaning is good for the denim and for the environment. Another advantage: “wearing a pair of jeans every day takes away the stress of what to wear in the morning,” Le said.

So maybe you wouldn’t push your denim to the limit for 15 months, but how long have you worn your jeans without washing them?

Also, for those of you who can’t believe Josh Le really did this, check out his time-lapse video of the denim below.

(Source)

Categories: Science

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

9 Comments on “Jeans Don't Get Germy!”

1. October 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

Wow, that’s quite an interesting research ! I wear a jean three or four times before washing them, but maybe I should start waiting longer…

• bazz
      October 23, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

yes, you should. you can wear them for at least 30 times until they will start to smell assuming you sweat, but even then, just barely. However i dont recommend to those that go commando

2. pellyrevisited
    October 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

I am sorry that is just disgusting! 13 days is entirely too long, ugh!

• Jfreek
      October 23, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

You do realize that the entire point of this article was to prove that it’s still sanitary, right? I’m not gonna say that you should wear them for that long, but there is actual research here. The only reason why it would be gross is if you consider it to be.

• nicu
      November 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

13 days too long? Never, you Americans are a little bit obsessed with being clean. I mean I get it: it’s about taking care of yourself, but not is such a measure. Just take into consideration: not everybody knows about sloturi-online.com so not everyone can afford buying or washing their clothes day by day. That would be an ordeal.

• Diane Vidana
        November 17, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

for me it’s not about the cleanliness of the jeans (except my work jeans-those are filthy after one or two wears) it is about the fit…they get baggy and stretched out…i wear those several times before washing

3. March 7, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

I am wearing a pair of A.P.C jeans I bought in Paris in December 2010. I don’t wear them in the summer, but wear them often otherwise. I have never washed them.

4. Wes Royer
    March 7, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

I typically wear my jeans for 14 days or so, unless they get stains or maintain the smell of a restaurant I wore them in!

5. March 9, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

I never ever wash all my raw denim stuff.

I just start breaking in my new pants or denim jacket at the beginning of the colder season, airing them a lot and waering them every day in a row just in 3 steps:

-The first 2 years as my first class office pants

– then downgraded as my outdoor pants for hiking skitouring bicycling after the first holes are growing

– and when completely falling apart they serve as my work pants on construction sites, repairing engines, working in the forest and other hard work. During this last step I don’t care about smelly or filthy pants or jacket since they have to stay out in the bunkhouse anyway then. And when they’re really burnt down completely the leftovers/ scraps can enjoy their eternal life as a retired raw denim project in the Jeansmuseum