There isn’t just one American dialect.
America is a pretty big place, with a hugely diverse population, and whose speech, idioms, and vocabulary changes when you cross state lines – never mind from north to south, east to west.
If Americans can’t even keep up with their own kitschy phrases, is it any wonder then that the rest of the world – even if they speak English – can’t figure these 14 out?
I say no, so let’s amuse ourselves, yeah?
14. It’s a stand-in for the other f-word.
The one that offends people, I guess.
13. We are legally obligated to point it out.
I have no idea why. It’s built in.
12. Because you haven’t paid yet?
Just a thought.
11. I think it’s like “I’ll pray for you.”
But like, without the religion.
Unless you have a better suggestion.
9. I never really considered that.
8. What’s the difference?
I really think this is a nitpick.
7. I mean that’s a big word.
You’ve got to give us that.
6. Because life sucks.
And everything is hard.
5. I mean, you said it right now.
We just like to be specific.
4. Because it’s short for gasoline?
3. I think we should look this up.
But in general everyone loves to bag on the French.
2. Because we’re quaint and adorable.
I should have thought that was obvious.
1. We are lazy.
Also we don’t understand math(s).
Some of these were new to me, a born-and-bred American.
Which of these had you scratching your head? Tell us in the comments!