In case you weren’t aware: America is a HUGE place. Having driven all over the ap when I was younger, I can tell you that it’s truly surprising how vast our nation is.
With that large landmass comes various regional dialects. People in Boston speak differently than people in Mississippi. The folks in North Dakota sound a heck of a lot different than the citizens of Texas. And so on and so on.
These nifty maps show some of the differences in how Americans say things.
1. This one gets people worked up
2. Where to put the rubbish?
3. Which do you prefer?
4. Garage sale is dominant
5. Hey y’all!
6. What do you call your footwear?
7. And finally, how many syllables are there in “caramel”?
8. Eastbound and Down, loaded up and truckin’
9. I love “bubbler”
Pop, soda, or Coke? That’ll really get a heated debate started…