It’s easy to think of history as one, continuous timeline. But it’s important to remember that many famous periods in history were happening at the same time.
Read through this list of amazing historical facts and then review the historical timeline you have in your mind. It’ll probably change.
1. Star Wars opened in 1977, the same year as the last guillotine execution in France.
2. Harriet the Tortoise was collected by Charles Darwin in 1835. She died in 2006.
3. The University of Oxford was established hundreds of years before the Aztec Empire was founded in 1428.
4. George Washington died in 1799. The first dinosaur fossil wasn’t discovered until 1824. Washington didn’t know dinosaurs existed.
5. Woolly Mammoths still roamed the Earth while Egyptians were building the pyramids (2660 BCE)
6. The world’s oldest tree was already 1,000 years old when the last Woolly Mammoth died. The tree is in California.
7. Anne Frank and Martin Luther King, Jr. were both born in the same year, 1929.
8. Harvard didn’t offer calculus for a few years after it was established because calculus hadn’t been invented yet.
9. You could take the London Underground to the last public hanging in the UK in 1868.
10. Ecstasy was invented in 1912, the same year the Titanic sank.
11. When the Pilgrims landed in America, there was already a ‘Palace of the Governors’ in what is now New Mexico.
12. Charlie Chaplin and Adolf Hitler were both born in 1889. In 1940, Chaplin satirized Hitler in The Great Dictator.
13. Women didn’t get the right to vote in Switzerland until 1971.
14. Orville Wright was still alive when atomic bombs were dropped on Japan in 1945. He died in 1948.
15. Microsoft was founded while Spain was still a fascist dictatorship in 1975.